Jñānāsramam: Jnanamalai Murugan Adiyar Narpani Manram
Activities of the Jnanamalai Murugan Devotees Group
Jnanamalai Development: September 2003
Jñānamalai is where Saint
Arunagirinathar was blessed with yogānubhuti and darshan of the lotus feet of
the Lord Muruga. Our group of devotional volunteers under the banner of "Siruvapuri Murugan Abishega Committee" has successfully completed Tiruppani in this kshetra
- Completed construction a 12 foot wide superior granite flight of steps with sidewalls for devotees to ascend the hill
for darshan of Lord Jnanamalai Muruga.
- For protecting the pilgrims from the hot sun, provided cement sheet roof
for the steps.
- Constructed madappalli and vahana room on the hill.
- Provision of roof around the temple to facilitate darshan of the Lord by
- The Tiruvadip Poonkovil enshrining the steps of Lord Muruga was protected
with proper roof.
- For the convenience of the pilgrims and for Swami abishegam, from the
deep bore well at the foot of the hills water is being pumped to the storage
tank on the Hills. From this tank water is supplied for the requirements on the
- The Ardhamandapam main mandapam and inside this temple were paved with
good dressed granite stones.
- For the procession of the Utsavar a new Peacock Vahanam was made and
- To make the hill greener, with the help of Forest Department officials a tree
planting program is being undertaken.
Tiruppani Phase II to be undertaken now includes construction of temple for Jnanasakti
Vinayagar at the start of the steps, mandapam at landing of the
steps, protecting the natural well (cunai) on the hills and planting
special lilies on this pond. A Girivalam route should be developed for the
devotees to perform Girivalam. Phase III can be thought of only after completing the above will include building a good stone
temple on the hills.
We are planning upliftment and the development of this village—Govindaseri—where the Jnanamalai is
situated. The following projects are being undertaken simultaneously (subject to availability of
funds/donations) in the near future.
into consideration of the soil, water and other conditions in this village we
are considering a good authentic herbal farm with rare medicinal plants to
assist the siddha and ayurvedic medicinal needs. We are planning a good ayurvedic
hospital for health and rejuvenation. We have the necessary expertise with our
members. We can take the advice of the competent organizations as
well. We will need about two acres of land to start with and extend
to five to eight acres. This project will give employment to the village people who are mainly
agriculture based. In the next phase we will plan processing of these herbs.
- To enable devotees to conduct marriages, collective prayers, offering
annadanam, meditation etc. to construct a hall with rooms with bath and toilet
facilities so that people to stay for a day or two.
- For the volunteers and retired people who want to offer their services
and lead a simple life in the divine village surroundings ,to provide
"Jnanakudil" (small dwellings).
- Further for the development of the village, to establish a primary
medical center, computer and internet facility, center for the development of folk arts and
- To establish a Center for the Kaumara Studies (all about Muruga, the
Tamil God). This Center will devote its activities for the research on Tamil culture,
arts, and architecture with particular reference to Muruga the Tamil God. This
Center will be globally connected through Web sites and disseminate our studies
In order to plan, implement and to sustain all the above plans we propose to form "Jnanasramam"—that
is, the Jnanamalai Murugan Devotees Group.
Senthil Adimai Sundaram, President
30 September 2003